Monday, December 3, 2012

Farmers Market Finds: The Guacamole Guy

This weekend was our town's Carols in the Park as well as our First Saturday Farmers Market. Vendors, music and Christmas Festivities with 80 degree weather? Count me in. 

I was on a mission: guacamole for my Sunday dinner. 

Mexican food ranks at the top of Geoff's favorite food list and is easy to make vegan (if desired). Being Geoff's birthday month, I thought it would be appropriate to make a new Mexican inspired dish that combined Mexican food with his second favorite home made dish: pizza. 

There are times where we will have buckets of avocados but this year that has not been the case and I knew that The Guacamole Guy would fill the gap perfectly. 

Here is a rundown of how I put dinner together: 
Excuse the iPhone pictures. My camera was dead.... 

I started with a quick salsa of diced cherry tomatoes, onion, lime juice, and salt and pepper.


I then made a cornmeal pizza dough recipe that I found from Martha Stewart. You could buy pizza dough or even use tortillas. Pizza dough is so easy to make and takes very little effort if you have a stand mixer or food processor. 


Once the dough had gone through the rising process, I stretched it and pierced a few holes with a fork. Instead of pizza sauce I used the Mild Tangy Tomatillo Salsa. 


I topped the pizzas with Diaya Pepper Jack cheese, black beans, and sliced cherry tomatoes. 


The pizzas were then baked at 425 for about 25 minutes. Typically we will make pizzas on the grill or using a grill pan to get them crispy but I wanted to cook all four at once. 


Once the cooking was complete, I let them sit for a few minutes and topped the one he was eating for dinner with guacamole. 


On top of the guacamole went the fresh salsa I prepared earlier. I did not top the remaining pizzas so that they could be stored, reheated and topped when ready to eat. 

Geoff was rather impressed and looking forward to leftovers.  It was the perfect Sunday dinner. 

Thank you Guacamole Guy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment