Friday, January 4, 2013

holiday festivities

The holiday season flew by this year. We stayed in Florida due to the fear of cold weather which puts Geoff on call 24-7. It was a good thing he stayed. There were a few nights of the alarm going off every two hours. He is a trooper and I almost felt guilty for taking over the whole bed every time he left. 

The first item on the list was Geoff's 26th birthday. Having a December birthday is rough and I try to make it a big deal for him. 


I kept it simple and went with his yearly request of Mexican food and his family over for dinner. His parents, sister, cousin Eric and Eric's girlfriend Nicole joined us. A few months prior to his birthday, when I was taking my cake decorating class, he informed me that he didn't want a birthday cake. He may have been having nightmares of the disaster I made in the kitchen weekly... I then found a frittata "cake" recipe that I decided to make for dinner.


Of course a week before his birthday, Geoff decided he wanted a birthday cake and not only a normal, basic birthday cake but a "White Willard". Geoff's grandfather, Willard, was a fan of a layered white cake with 7 minute frosting and coconut. Luckily Geoff's sister asked a hostesses favorite question "what can I bring?". I quickly responded with his request that she was very familiar with. Good thing because we had to throw away the cake pans after this dish. Old nonstick cake pans with egg is not a good combination apparently. 

Geoff and Baby Roe got some great gifts and we are all very appreciative. 


The next event on our list was the Roe Family Eve of Christmas Eve celebration. We all gathered at Geoff's grandparents old home that is currently owned by his aunt and uncle and enjoyed great food, cocktails and family time.


The cocktail of choice yearly is the beloved Old Fashioned. The Roe family will not turn down a good bourbon or the dropping in of carolers. 


One of my favorite family traditions is attending Christmas Eve service at church. I always love the service and seeing all of the kids so excited to celebrate Christmas. I can't wait until we have our own children run up to the front of the church to hear the story of the birth of Jesus. The running part may be an exaggeration because Geoff and I were not that child. I know I preferred hiding in the pews. 

Church was followed by a lovely dinner at our downtown Italian restaurant with Geoff's parents. It was delicious and required no prep work or cleaning. It was so nice to just enjoy the evening. 


We celebrated Christmas morning at home. Just us and our fury children. I made breakfast and we opened gifts from my family and each other. 

Argos was not left out either. 








He was obviously very excited about his gift but it was then time for bed. He knew he had a long night ahead. 

Traditionally we celebrate Christmas night at Geoff's parents house. His sister and her husband drive down from Atlanta in time for dinner and gifts. 

We had a great holiday but I did miss my family. Next year with a little one at our house, hopefully they will make the trip....

I am never ready to take down the tree... 





I can't wait until next year and we have 7 month old to celebrate with. 

Best wishes in 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment