Monday, April 29, 2013

Dear Harper: Week 1



Dear Harper,

You have blessed our lives for an entire week today. We are both so grateful to have your healthy, happy self in our family. I have decided to write you letters as reminders of all of your special moments and hopefully someday you will read them and always remember how much you were loved from the start.

As I write this I have your baby monitor next to the computer and I am unsuccessfully trying not to tear up.

We brought you home from the hospital Wednesday afternoon. That day was one of the most nerve wrecking of your dad and my lives. We no longer had the security of all of the nurses and hospital staff. It was now just you, your dad and me. You road in the car so well and of course I sat in the back seat with you and held your hand. I needed your strength.

I knew from the beginning that I wanted you to sleep in your crib at night. The first few nights that did not last very long and we let you sleep in your infant rocker. The infant rocker may be your favorite place to be. Last night was the first night I did not sleep in your room and you have been such a big boy sleeping in your crib. I think you would sleep through the night if I were to let you but I know your tiny stomach needs food at least every four hours.

Feeding you is such a special time for me. Being able to look down at you while I supply you with all of the nourishment your little body needs is such a blessing. At the hospital you had very interest in eating and the nurses kept trying to get you to eat. I knew you were tired and would become a healthy eater as soon as you were ready. Boy was I right, once my milk fully came in we had to go see the lactation nurse at the birthing center. Calling you a snapping turtle would be an understatement. You would latch on and not let go until you fell asleep. The nurse got us on the right track and now your dad lovingly refers to you as “milk dud”. Our feedings end with both of us covered in milk and a big smile on your face.

You had your first doctor’s appointment on Friday. Your dad and I both took you and you were such a trooper. You have already surpassed your birth weight and now weigh in at 8lbs 8 oz. You even got your first shot. The doctor told us that you broke your collarbone during delivery. This breaks my heart but it will heal on its own.  It looks like we both got rather beat up that day. I know I am still recovering.

You are such a happy baby. Tears typically mean you have a very wet diaper or are just in need of some extra cuddles. You do tend to get fussy when it is time for me to eat dinner. The infant swing with lullabies seems to do the trick. You like to be swaddled for bedtime but apparently only when your dad does it. I promise I will get better at it.

You have had so many visitors in your first week of life. There is so much love in this world for you already. You get to meet your grandma Carole today. She drove 10 hours to see your chubby checks and give you even more love.

It is time for your next feeding and from what I can hear on the baby monitor a fresh diaper.

I love you Harper. I always will.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment