Monday, May 6, 2013

Dear Harper: Week 2



Dear Harper,

You are two weeks old today. We are both still showing signs of your delivery but healing well. Your collarbone is on its way to being healed and the doctor said your head looks better. You are weighing in at 9lbs 6oz. Nearly a whole pound above your birth weight. You have also grown a half-inch. I am no longer worried that our little “milk dud” isn’t eating enough food.


 Week one you were a very easy baby. You went to sleep quickly and quietly and stayed asleep so long that I had to wake you up from almost every nap to feed you. This week you have decided to become your own, strong willed person. You don’t always want to take a nap but most of the time you are content hanging out in your crib but when it is time for bedtime you become rather vocal. Your dad and I spend time alternating rocking, loving and changing that always-dirty diaper. Once you are asleep and as long as you don’t break free from your swaddle wrap, you are a strong sleeper. Some nights you even let me go 4 hours between feedings.


You met my parents, your grandparents this week. They love you dearly. It was such a joy to see them smile every time you snuggled up against them and gave them a smile. Your grandma even helped change a few dozen of your diapers and rocked you to sleep for many naps. That may be why you don’t want to go straight to sleep on your own….



Your umbilical cord stump, or belly bacon as your dad refers to it, fell off this week.  I didn’t want to be the one to throw it away so I made you dad toss it when he got home from work. With the stump gone we were able to use your infant tub. The first attempt was painful for all involved but last night you seemed to almost enjoy it. It is a special time for you and your dad. He may not be able to feed you yet but he gets to bathe you a few times a week. It is the sweetest thing to watch.

First Bath
Second Bath
You and your dad share a similar trait: the inability to only sneeze once.  I have learned not to “bless you” until the third, forth or even fifth sneeze has passed. It is something I have always teased your dad about.


I am really looking forward to spending this week with you. It will be the first time it is just you and I home.  You have a long list of visitors wanting to come give you loves and I look forward to the company but it will be nice to figure us out. We are in this together and as sleep deprived as I am, I look forward to every moment.

I love you little Harper. I always will.

Love,
Mom 

1 comment:

  1. I'm balling at work. This is so cute Nicole. I love the way you are writing it to Harper. Keep it up, no matter how sleep deprived, please. :)

    ReplyDelete