Monday, May 20, 2013

Dear Harper: Week 4



Dear Harper,

How are you a month old already? I know I will ask myself this every single month, if not every single day, but I feel like we just brought you home.



This past week was a big week of firsts for both of us.

Our first big moment for us was me leaving you with  your Florida grandma while I ran to the grocery store. You may not have even noticed that I was gone but it was an emotional moment for me. I have never grocery shopped so quickly in my life. I knew you were in good hands but it is hard to be away. I haven’t even left you alone with your dad yet. Baby steps.




I suppose I have to get used to it because we have a few events coming up that will require your grandmother or dad to watch you for a few hours. This leads to the next big, emotional, moment for us. You drank out of your first bottle. I am not so sure why I was so nervous that you wouldn’t take it. Your dad and you went  into the nursery and sat in our glider, just like we normally do and he gave you a bottle. You drank all four ounces in minutes. I am not even sure you noticed that anything was different.  

All of this eating has caused you to outgrow newborn diapers. You are officially in size one. We also started using gPants. They are a modified cloth diaper that has flushable inserts. They are adorable on you and easy to use. I may have turned all of the liners pink when I forgot to separate unwashed colors. I plan on using these during the day for now and stick with disposables at night or when we are out of town.


I have been contemplating giving you a pacifier but was on the fence. The other night, while I was washing up, you were crying. Your dad was trying to sooth you but I could tell nothing was working. Then quiet. Your dad found your pacifier stash and you loved it. Looks like we will be using one to help sooth you when your thumb isn't enough. 



You still don't like to be put down. I spend hours every day around lunch walking, dancing and bouncing you. You fuss as soon as I sit down and even if you are asleep you wake up as soon as I try to transfer you to your infant rocker or crib. Your two favorite spots to sleep are your Florida Grandma's or your dad's chest. 



Our morning walks are getting longer but somehow your morning nap has gotten shorter. You like to stay awake for the first portion of the walk  until you can not fight it any more. We even ventured out to walk with my friend Anna who is expecting a little one in a few months. The two of you will be great friends.



Another big step for us was our first outing. We went to Jo-Anns Fabric store to pick up craft supplies for a gift for your dad. We arrived at the store right as it opened and they were still running the vacuum for the perfect amount of white noise to keep you asleep.



On Sunday, your dad joined us for our morning walk. He took us to Circle B and we got to walk the trails and see the wild life. We even got to see a few alligators. The bumpy terrain kept you asleep the whole time.

I look forward to more and more firsts every week. You are precious.

One of your newborn pictures. Can't wait to see the rest. 
  

I will always love you.

Love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment