Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Dear Harper: Week 5



Dear Harper

This week I was so grateful that you seem to enjoy your car seat. We had multiple long drives and you handled most of them like a champ. Our trial drive was to Whole Foods with your FL grandma. You were sound asleep for the first 45 minutes but as soon as we exited the freeway you woke up and made sure we knew you were awake. You don’t appear to like us stopping at stoplights. You did great at Whole Foods but did decide to let half the store know that you do not like your diaper being changed in a public restroom. None of us can blame you on that one. You took a bottle while we ate lunch and fell back asleep on the way home.


The next night was the first night that it was “just the guys”. I had a meeting and your dad came home from work to watch you for two hours. Apparently you cried until five minutes before I got back home. I think you missed me…

Notice the "blanket"....

Saturday was your true test in the car. We drove down to Stuart for my good girlfriends bachelorette party.  Your dad was so kind to come with us to watch you while I had fun with the girls. I was really hoping you got all of your crying out the first time but once again you were unhappy and cried for three and a half hours. I am not sure which one of you looked more exhausted when I got home.

Dad "babysitting"

That was the first night we had you sleep in your Pack ‘n Play. Once your dad got you to sleep you did great in it. I have been using the Swaddle Me Velcro swaddles instead of a blanket and they seem to do much better. It didn’t matter how snuggly we swaddled you, you always broke an arm or two out. You have been sleeping four to five hour stretches in your crib at night. Normally around 3 hours you wake up and start fussing but after five minutes you fall back asleep without any help. Naps did not come as easy this week. If you fall asleep for a nap, you are typically being held. I am grateful that you are asleep but it becomes difficult to accomplish much of anything.

This past week you have become aware to all of your surroundings. This has lead to less napping and more crying. Almost every night around 6:00pm we have to use every trick in every book to sooth you. You will have a full bully, clean diaper and well burped but still you wail. As soon as we think you are calm and we can stop bouncing, shhhing, dancing and letting you suck on our finger you start up again.

You still love your daily walks. We go further and further each day. Some days you sleep and other days you just stare up at me. I really enjoy that time of our day. I can’t wait until we can walk to the park and push you in a swing. 

I love you Harper Glen. I always will.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment