Sunday, June 9, 2013

One Year



A year ago today, I married my best friend. I know it is cliche to say but there isn't a better way to put it. He isn't just my better half but my essential other half. I don't know whether to say "I can't believe it has been a year" because it has felt longer or shorter but I know it has been memorable and amazing. Saying my "husband" still seems new to me and doesn't always come naturally but now he isn't only my husband but the father of my son. He is a dad. An amazing one at that. 


Our wedding is still a fresh memory in both of our minds. I would love to relive it and wouldn't change a thing. Celebrating your love with all of your family and friends is an unbelievable feeling. I love looking back at pictures and reminiscing. 


Speaking of pictures, our honeymoon pictures always put a smile on my face. On the rainiest of days, I flip through the album and hope to take a trip again soon. 


This year has been full of house projects, mini trips, fun times with friends and the birth of our first son. Pregnancy is tough on the strongest of marriages but it brought us so much closer as well as knocked down all barriers of modesty for better or worse :) Geoff was so supportive and strong through the longest of days. Even when I claimed to look like a manatee, he promised I was beautiful. Labor and delivery was painful for both of us, physically and mentally. I couldn't have done it without him. He may never be able to look at me the same... but the end result was worth it, one hundred times over. 



Geoff's experience with newborns was nonexistent but he has become an amazing, loving and patient father. The way he sings to Harper and entertains him always puts a smile on both of our faces. I know he is going to be an excellent role model.  


I recently purchased Pistol Annie's newest CD and the song "Loved by a Workin' Man" is a perfect summary of our marriage. I will have to say my working man does the dishes and laundry whenever needed...

He ain't much on roses but he'd walk a country mile
To pick a handful of white flowers that would make his baby smile
He won't do the dishes but he'll sweep you off your feet
And he'll make you feel like the prettiest thing that he's ever seen

Cause he knows how to treat his woman
And he knows how to make ends meet
He'll take you for a ride in his four-wheel drive
And he'll fix about anything
He likes to get dirty but he cleans up good
He drinks with his buddies but he prays when he should
And there ain't nothing better than
Being loved by a workin' man

He don't write love letters but he loves to make things right
With a heart the size of Texas, two arms to hold you tight
He won't do the laundry but he'll keep your car real clean
And he'll make you feel like the prettiest thing that he's ever seen

Cause he knows how to treat his woman
And he knows how to make ends meet
He'll take you for a ride in his four-wheel drive
And he'll fix about anything
He likes to get dirty but he cleans up good
He drinks with his buddies but he prays when he should
And there ain't nothing better than
Being loved by a workin' man

Cause he knows how to treat his woman
And he knows how to make ends meet
He'll take you for a ride in his four-wheel drive
And he'll fix about anything
He likes to get dirty but he cleans up good
He drinks with his buddies but he prays when he should
And there ain't nothing better than
Being loved by a workin' man

I love my workin' man
 
I do love my workin' man. I always will. Happy one year Geoff! Cheers to many, many more! Let's hope the cake tastes as good as I remember!




No comments:

Post a Comment