Monday, May 4, 2015

Dear Harper: 2nd Year


Dear Harper,

My sweet boy, you turned two this month. I keep finding myself standing in our hallway looking at your newborn, six month, one year, eighteen month and now two year pictures. In my eyes you are still that adorable, chunky baby boy. It warms my heart knowing that you still want to be held and cuddle with your momma. 

You have the kindest heart but boy are you a busy one. From the moment you wake up, before six on most days, you just go, go, go until you eventually crash for a few hours in the afternoon then it is go, go, go until bedtime. 


You love your routines and remind us if we alter them in anyway. Your quick to point out a cabinet left open, a full dishwasher or a dryer that needs to be emptied. Vacuuming has become one of your favorite hobbies and it didn't take long for you to mimic the sound. You also like to "wash" the windows with baby wipes, someday I will tell you that smearing toddler grime doesn't count as cleaning. 


As much as you like cleaning, you love to get dirty. Almost every night when dad gets home from work the two of you spend time outside tending to the garden, working in the garage or finding other ways to get dirty.  You love to dig holes in the yard but being in the garden is your favorite. You will eat green onions right out of the soil and tomatoes straight off the vine. I love that you love being out there and I know  your dad feels the same way. 


Since the fall you have been going to Moms Morning Out at our church. There were tears in the beginning but you grew to love it. You had the best teachers and loved seeing your friends Gerry, Hudson and Max there. It was hard for me to leave you those first few times but I knew it was good for you mentally and emotionally. I knew you were in good hands. 


You took your first round of swim lessons last summer and boy were there tears! You hate to float but got so good at it. By the end of the summer, you could kick your way across a pool. I was so proud of you but hated hearing you scream. We have already started lessons this summer and you remembered so much of it and cry so much less. You are always so proud of yourself. 


You are such a good eater! I am always impressed when I see you eating what your dad and I eat for dinner. You love anything that comes with a side of guacamole and we haven't had a fruit that you will turn down. You even like seaweed snacks! You love anything dipped in hummus as well as any dish that includes noodles. I even catch you sneaking frozen corn and peas straight out of the freezer for a snack. Most mornings we will split a smoothie and at least once a week I have trouble finishing mine but you keep asking for more. 


You became a big brother this year. My heart melts seeing you show your brother love. You aren't always the most gentle and those first few weeks were rough but I know you love him. You just want him to be able to run around and play with you. Soon enough.


New words come out of your mouth daily. Many catch me off guard. You are starting to string them together and be able to ask for what you want. Your dad and I have to be very cautious about what we say around you because you are quick to repeat it. Argos is "go-go" and Charlie is still "bebe". Apparently all animals go "moo" except dinosaurs because they "Raaaaawwwrrrr". 


You are quick to shake off most trips and falls but "boo boos" require kisses. Sometimes you purposely cause a "boo boo" to get a kiss. You are a ham. 


Harper, your second year of life has been such a joy. You are a  busy boy but I wouldn't have it any other way. 


I love you yesterday, today and tomorrow too. I will always love you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment