Monday, July 22, 2013

Dear Harper: 3 Months


Dear Harper,

You are THREE months old today. We survived the 4th trimester. Boy was it exhausting but such an amazing time for both of us. I wouldn't be honest if I said it was easy because that wasn't always the case. We had some rough moments, some long days and a few near sleepless nights.  I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. You are a joy to spend time with and I am blessed to be able to stay home with you. I am also blessed to have a great support system to give me the time I need to be me. 

The most important lesson you taught me? A lesson that parents try to teach their babies from toddlerhood: how to share. Sharing is something that I have never been very good at. Your Aunt Kelle knew she had to sneak into my closet to "borrow" clothes, I struggled having roommates and I want the last of the ice cream in the freezer. I have gotten better but you taught me how to share and be happy with sharing. It wasn't easy. I didn't want to let you go and when others held you, I was always anxious to get you back. I knew I had to share your love. Sharing your love is a big deal and I know we have a great support from family and friends and you deserve love from all of them. Sharing you will make you a stronger individual and allow me to be an even better mom. You have also taught me that I can survive with less than 8 hours of sleep and that I know none of the lyrics of any of the songs that I want to sing to you... 

In three months, you have more than doubled in size and tripled in personality. You are hilarious. That smile of yours is a mirror image of your dad. Looking at the "baby" in the mirror is one of the quickest ways to put a smile on your face.  When you are being grumpy, the music gets turned up and the dance party begins. There is no doubt that you lungs aren't fully developed. When you scream, Argos will go hide. The tears you shed break my heart. I think they always will. The look you give me in the morning is worth all of the rough nights. 

This weekend we packed all of your newborn, 0 - 3 month and some of your 3-6 month clothes. You have outgrown almost anything with the word infant and are wearing size 3 diapers. I fear that teething is going to occur sooner rather than later. I have been referring to you as a snapping turtle. You "snap" at anything you can fit your mouth around and gum it as hard as your little jaws will allow. By anything I mean fingers, ears, my collar bone, shoulders and my arms. Painful is an understatement. 

We had a fun water filled weekend with you. Your dad took us out on the pontoon boat. You love sitting on his lap while he drives. Between the cool air, the sound of the motor and speakers and the rocking of the boat, you slept for over an hour. It was perfect. Your dad also set up a swimming pool in the backyard for us to use. The two of you hung out in the water splashing and smiling. It was adorable. He loves you so much. 

It has been determined that you do not like to sit down. Our options are to hold you or let you stand while we hold your hands. You stand for hours every day. Hours. This led to a quick google search and the purchase of a Jolly Jumper. This may be the best invention ever. We strap you in and hang you up. Literally and it allows you to stand up and "bounce" around. It is great exercise for you and gives me a few minutes a few times a day to get a few things done. 

The Moby wrap is now a friend of ours and we use it for your mid morning nap while I get chores done but the Ergo has been a battle the past few weeks. You outgrew the infant insert but aren't quite ready to not have it. A small  blanket keeps you propped but I hope in the next few weeks you become a fan again. I think you would prefer to look out instead of at me...

Other likes besides your fist are your monkey that Aunt Kelle gave you and your chew blanket that my friend Amanda made. Both are the perfect size for your little grip and mouth. You swing is back in action as well. Your late afternoon nap happens in it while I try to get work done. We also enjoy "watching" the projector from your white noise machine. It really is relaxing. 

I find it a fun challenge to see what you will enjoy that day and what is no longer acceptable. You are very quick to let us know. I hope crib naps return soon! 

I can't wait to see what the next 3 months have in store for us. 

I love you H. I always will.

Love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment